Are you aware that B-BBEE compliance is part of the requirements when applying for a” Liquor Licence”?
Below are some extracts from the Department of Trade and Industry’s website regarding application requirements.
“HOW TO APPLY FOR A MANUFACTURING AND/OR DISTRIBUTION LICENCE”
INSTRUCTION C: B-BBEE AND COMBATING ALCOHOL ABUSE
The applicant needs to indicate their commitment in respect of the Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Codes of Good Practice.
The applicant is expected to propose a contribution towards combating liquor abuse; he/she can make financial and/or non-financial contributions
INSTRUCTION F: REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Applications should be accompanied by:
- A business zoning certificate for industrial purposes or a consent letter from the relevant municipality;
- Comprehensive written representation in support of the application;
- Any determination, consent approval or authority required by the Act;
- Valid proof that the prescribed application fee has been deposited in the bank account of the DTi;
- A valid certified copy of ID or passport of the applicant;
- Trading business permit if the applicant is a foreigner;
- A South African Police Services (SAPS) police clearance certificate not older than three months from the date of issue;
- If the applicant is a juristic person, valid copies of registration issued by the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) or any other relevant registration authority indicating the financial interest of all members, shareholders, partners or beneficiaries as the case may be;
- A valid tax clearance certificate if the applicant is a juristic person issued by the South
- African Revenue Services (SARS) within 12 months from the date of application; and
- Verification certificate issued in terms of the B-BBEE Act.
This clearly indicates that anyone applying for a new licence or renewing the licence must undergo a process of establishing their B-BBEE compliance. The precise method of doing so is, therefore, dependant on the category within which your company will be (EME, QSE or Generic).